Shop Wildtree Products

Friday, November 27, 2015

Holiday Guest Post: The Gift of Family

The Gift of Family


“Thanksgiving Eve” is the kickoff to the holiday season.  In years past, I have found myself at the local watering hole enjoying a beer (fine, a few beers) while visiting and reconnecting with people of my past.  This year, I’m sprawled out on my parents couch after spending the evening catching up with my siblings and playing with my nephews.  Although it may not have been as vivacious as being shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar, it was just as fulfilling; and it won’t leave me with a hangover tomorrow.  

Tonight it hit me – what am I thankful for? My family.

Sure, this may sound a bit cliché, but I assure you mine is truly 
one-of-a-kind.  Although we are far from flawless, our support and love for one another is undeniable.  My mother and father are the glue that hold my siblings and me together.  Growing up the youngest of four children, we have had our fair share of quarrels.  But it wasn’t until the passing of my older brother when our relationships were truly tested.  We could have easily drifted apart for several reasons, but to this day I know my big sister and big brother will always be there for their baby sister.  

Over the past eight years, we could have easily focused on the loss of my brother, but instead, we continue to celebrate the life he shared with us!  There is no holiday, birthday, wedding, or May 21st where we don’t bring up his name.  More frequently, we share stories of his youth which typically end with us all roaring with laughter.  

Although talking about the deceased with such ease may make some newcomers to our family feel uncomfortable, it keeps him in our daily lives; my nephews, and hopefully my children, will grow up knowing their uncle, and our fondest memories will stay fresh in our minds.  God knows our family is not picture perfect, but we can make it through anything as long as we are together. 

For this, I am thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment