Shop Wildtree Products

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Let. It. Go.

Let's talk clutter...



We live in a world of clutter.  A world that thrives off of marketing tools used to convince us that we “need” that new iPhone 6, Vera Bradley duffel, or Fossil watch.  The list goes on and on {as do the advertisements}.  It takes serious self-discipline to resist the urge to buy, collect, and ultimately clutter every inch of our house.  Walking into a store alone is enough to “warm up” certain areas of your brain and prepare you to make purchases. 

The sad part…since that lovely (but not so lovely) “.com” took over the world, physical clutter can be the least of our worries.

I mean…how many of us have a separate e-mail for junk mail?!?!?! Personally, the number of unread messages that are in my “junk” mailbox alone can cause me to feel stress.  It’s simple.  I open my e-mail to see advertisements from Macy’s, TropiTan, Young Living, etc.  An ANXIETY SPIKE occurs and my thought process goes as follows: “these e-mails are constant, I need to unsubscribe to them, but that takes TIME.”  That “spaghetti noodle” connects to all of the other lists in my brain that will take precedence over unsubscribing from my junk mail and the e-mails continue to roll in and the cycle continues.  (Until a couple weeks ago of course…if I talk the talk I better walk the walk.)

My argument:  clutter is EVERYWHERE and at some point bins, baskets, and closet organizing systems just don’t do enough.


Over the past year there have been several little things that have ultimately had a large impact on Evan and my life that have triggered a reevaluation of what a life of fullness or success means for us.  We ultimately want to live freely and to do that we must live simply.  Whether it is the ingredient labels in our pantry or the number of clothes in our closet, the focus is to REDUCE the clutter in our minds.

Yes…mind clutter.  It is real and we all experience it, but people don’t tend to think about what occupies our minds as clutter. 

In reality, reducing the amount of “stuff” in our lives can be one of the easiest, most rewarding ways to reduce stress.  It’s just that getting started can be REALLY hard.

The nice part about getting rid of things is that it becomes easier.  It feels good to free up space and in many cases give items away, which in the majority of cases feels good too. The hard part is that letting go takes practice. 

Just a few weekends ago Evan and I spent a couple hours going through boxes in our basement and shipping them out the door.  Let me tell you a little secret…I don’t miss any of it.  Walking down the stairs gives me less to grumble about.  I never regret giving something away.  It is similar to exercising.  Initially I may think I have too much to do and that I will regret working out, but after my workout I NEVER regret it.  As for de-cluttering, I may think I will regret sending that t-shirt away, but I never do.  I don’t look back and wish I had the things I have let go.  Now that’s not to say I wouldn’t miss an item that has true sentimental value, there are limitations for getting rid of things too.


Here's Where to Start...


As I said earlier, letting go can be really challenging.  A few of the most significant ways we have removed “stuff” from our home and mind include:

1.     Selling the television in our bedroom.

Both my husband and I did not grow up with televisions in our bedrooms and after moving in together we never used it.  It wasn’t hooked up to cable and the only time I found it useful was for sick days when I wanted to lay in bed and watch movies.  So we sold it and I can tell you…we don’t miss it.  It’s one less thing to dust, our room feels slightly bigger, and we made some money.  Is there anything negative about that decision?

The old bookcase our television sat on...it has been given away too. :)

2.     Unsubscribing from e-mails.

Even though it takes time, it is really surprising how much relief comes from this simple task. It’s also the easiest way to steer clear of those sale promotions.  Your closet, bank account, and credit card will thank you.  Just because a coupon is available or a sale is happening, doesn’t mean there is a need to buy.  There will always be another coupon and sale.

3.     Throwing away-expired medications and food.

It’s amazing how much space these items take up in our medicine cabinets, cupboards, and/or pantries.  I was able to reduce two boxes of medication, Band-Aids, vitamins etc. to one.  Granted, we do not have children and we tend to steer clear of medications.  I would say almost a third of what we discarded was cold medication that had expired.

The bin on the left was full before the "purge."
**Note: The pills should not be disposed in the trash or flushed down the toilet, they should be taken to your local police or health department for proper disposal.

 4.     Recycling old electronics.

This one is still pending for Evan and I.  We currently have a number of items to send for recycling, so I will let you know how that all goes once we get rid of it.  I can tell you that the level of organization in our office space will take a step up and we will be better for it.


5.     College binders, papers, etc. 

This can be quite a challenge.  For the longest time I have felt the need to hold onto my notes from college.  I was in school for over SEVEN YEARS.  I am sure the method for teaching first grade students addition and subtraction has changed three times since I took my MTH 222 class.  We also have the Internet and local libraries, so when I need to research something my notes are generally my last ditch effort anyways.  I cleared out a whole bin and milk crate and donated about 15 binders to one of the schools I service.  Now I have more space and several children are benefiting from those binders.  Again…it’s a win.

 This took up a full storage bin and crate...PHEWY. 

When de-cluttering, it might be best to start small and in the area of your house and/or life that will benefit you the most.  Also, it might be important to set up a “graduated” program for yourself that gives you deadlines and is not rushed.  Maybe you hope to simplify your basement shelves within a month or go through one closet per month.  Make your goal achievable and one where you will experience success quickly.  I vote the junk box…it was so simple and I have REALLY felt a difference on this one.

Let me know how it goes! 






Our goal of simplicity is a work in process, so please feel free to share some ways you have simplified your life in the comments section below.  

Suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment