Shop Wildtree Products

Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Power of Conversation

Today I was reminded again that there is good in this world.  We just have to pay attention enough and embrace the opportunity to experience it.

After my workout, I decided to go take pictures at a park near our home.  I have been trying to learn more about our camera and a family member mentioned to try and take one picture every day.  I don't take a picture each day, but I try and do my best to take pictures a couple times a week.  

I also, like many others, find photography to be inspirational; an opportunity to capture a spark of beauty.

Surprisingly...beautiful.

So...I went to the park to take pictures...of my running shoes (weird I know, but I am obsessed) and the small lake (not so weird).  There were quite a few people out and about and the weather was beautiful.  One of them, an older woman, walked over to sit on a bench nearby.  She commented on our camera and just like that...we began to chat.  Now by "chat" I don't mean meaningless small talk.  We had a genuine conversation that happened to be very positive (I know this is not always the case.)  It started with her asking how to order enlarged pictures online, and ended on the topic of life today, the changes that have occurred, and how our ancestors might feel in the world today.  

Now that is a CONVERSATION.

It's amazing to me that the time I spent talking with a complete stranger had more substance than countless conversations with people I know intimately.  I have to admit that sometimes it's easier for me to have deeper conversations with people I don't know very well than it is with my close friends and family.  Maybe it's because our personalities are conditional;  when we are surrounded by a certain group of people we act differently than we do in the presence of another.

The power of conversations with strangers can be underestimated.  Sometimes people are intimidated or maybe even scared to strike up conversation with people they don't know.  Some might argue that we have grown to find random conversations uncomfortable and "weird."

But maybe it isn't so weird.  

Maybe it is strange that we don't experience these interactions more regularly.  You never know what might come of one.  What you might learn.  Not necessarily what you might learn about someone else, but yourself.  Your personality, beliefs, and social style.

Today, I had one conversation with a stranger. 

One conversation and my heart was full.  One conversation and my neighborhood felt a little more like home.  One conversation and I found a new friend.  

For a brief moment, I was present and still.

And for that I am oh so very...


Have you had a positive conversation with a stranger lately? 
:)


{Sunday Photo Inspiration}




No comments:

Post a Comment