Shop Wildtree Products

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Five Reasons to Run Outdoors This Winter


Snowy Runs...


Are the BEST.


Alright...so I imagine there will be several of you (my father included) who will completely disagree with this statement.  However...I still couldn't help but share my two cents.  With our first snowfall today, I had to celebrate...by going for a run.  It was SO peaceful.  If you haven't done so...I vote you try it and decide for yourself.  Feel free to comment with reasons why you love...or hate running in the winter.



1.  Peace & Quiet

I can tell you first hand that my winter runs are by far the most peaceful.  Everyone else stays inside and the buffer of snow on the road creates a tranquil setting that simply can't be replicated.  I cannot tell you how amazing it is to feel like you are the only one awake; enjoying one of our nature's most magical gifts...SNOW.

2.  You Feel Accomplished

Don't get me wrong.  Getting myself to go outside in the cold to exercise this morning was definitely a mental challenge.  The thought, "but my slippers feel so comfy" definitely crossed my mind.  I could have stayed in my leggings and slippers, but sitting here right now would not have felt so good.  I completed the task, overcame my mental resistance, and challenged my body...it feels good.

3.  It Challenges Your Body and Mind

In some ways this relates to the one above, but overcoming the resistance to stay inside is one of many mental challenges when running outdoors in the winter.  Exercising in general is about reaching milestones and breaking past what you tell yourself you are capable of doing.  One of my dear friends and I used to run together regularly.  When one of us was struggling the other would say, "let's reassess at the next light or stop sign."  Almost EVERY time we would get to the marker, we would determine a new marker for "reassessment."  It is something I use quite often, even during normal daily tasks.

4.  My Strongest Runs Happen

Maybe it's just me...but many of my best runs have been when temperatures were in the single digits.  Sounds crazy...I know.  I wouldn't have believed you had you told me that before I started running in the winter.  When I think of my best runs, they happened in the extreme cold.  When the weather is REALLY cold, there is minimal wind, which is why I love it so much.  For me is the very WORST part of running in the winter is the wind.  So the days that reach between 25-30 degrees are not my favorite...at all.  Some people think I am crazy and running when it is this cold is unsafe, but I assure you that if you wear the right gear and keep moving...you'll be just fine.

5.  Fresh Air     

During the winter our direct interaction with nature is minimal.  Yes we drive in it, but we don't spend nearly as much time outside as we do during other months.  The winter air is some of the freshest (or so it seems).  After any activity in the snow or cold, I am exhausted.  The fresh air is such a natural stress reliever and can often mean a really good night's sleep.  When I run...I sleep really good.  Plain and simple.

Thank you for reading!

Here are a few of the pictures I snapped during our first snowfall. :)  Enjoy!


It's AMAZING how the view can change over the course of days.












No comments:

Post a Comment