Shop Wildtree Products

Monday, December 21, 2015

Holiday Guest Post: Thankful For The Unexpected Journey


This season I find myself grateful for the most unlikely of things…persistence and patience. 

Without either, I would be no further ahead than when I first began my journey a year ago. Like many individuals, I pursued the American dream (a.k.a. the daily grind). Literally, I woke up, drove to a corporate office to sit at my comfortable desk next to windows, completed my daily tasks with precision, drove home to my two-bedroom condo, ate dinner, took my dog for a walk and settled in for the night only to turn around and do it again the very next day. There is nothing wrong with the average daily life. The problem is, I am not the average person and was not interested in living as such. I wanted change and adventure and more than anything, I wanted my life to have meaning and purpose.

I have since made some very significant changes, which included quitting my job, selling my home, possessions and car. I made a decision to finish out my teaching degree, which required that I study and pass the dreaded MTTC teacher certification tests. This meant a commitment to study every night and weekend since last January and relearning things I haven’t studied since high school.

Trust me, changes like this are not for sissies or the lazy! I am thankful for the persistence and patience I’ve learned along the way. I needed it after a summer of painting cupboards, ceilings and walls in my condo while I prepared to sell and I needed it every time I failed my MTTC test (up to three times), to keep me from NOT giving up. I’ve needed it to remind myself this is just the beginning and that I can and will finish what I’ve started because the best is yet to come.

I don’t have it in hand yet but yesterday, I received the green light indicating, my teaching certificate is close at hand. I marvel at my past year and look forward to what is to come. Persistence and patience have been hard on me but in the end, they have become my best friend, and for them, I am grateful.
Cheers!
Courtney W.

No comments:

Post a Comment