Shop Wildtree Products

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

How to Stay Resolute About Your New Year’s Resolution

How to Stay Resolute About Your New Year’s Resolution
When practiced in a mindful way, gratitude may edge the battle line closer to a New Year’s victory.

The New Year is here, and with it comes an onslaught of gym membership promotions and diet plan commercials. Many folks are determined for this to be the year they hit the gym three times a week and substitute a salad for a burger at lunchtime. I confess the only New Year’s resolution I ever stuck to was drinking more water. Although my skin thanks me for it, sticking to this resolution has not bettered me emotionally in any way. The word “resolution” is rooted in the word “resolute”, meaning “marked by firm determination” (Merriam-Webster). Did I have a firm determination to drink more water? Not really. I only kept on with it because I thought I saw positive changes in my body, which I attributed to my increased intake of H2O. I think this is the case with a lot of so-called “resolutions”. We hold steady with our resolution for a few weeks into the New Year, until that firm determination because a pliable idleness.

            So why does this failure happen year after year to so many people? What happened to our gung-ho attitude and resolute demeanor? I think, in most cases, we do not immediately see the results we had hoped for. We are disappointed with the lack of reward for our hard work and sacrifice. But I do believe there is a way, through regular mindfulness practices, to reach these goals even when the results are hard fought and sorely won.

            Gratitude. This word is closely linked to the word thankfulness, but I like to employ it when thankfulness echoes a bit hollow. I say “thanks” just as much as I say “please”. Saying “thank you” is like a formality, like calling someone “Professor” or “Sir”. Saying “thank you” shows a level of respect for someone, but perhaps not your deepest level of appreciation. This idea of gratitude can play a significant role in keeping your New Year’s resolution. When practiced in a mindful way, gratitude may edge the battle line closer to a New Year’s victory.  

Here is my proposal, tested and endorsed by myself. Whenever it works for you (before or after a workout, at the end of the day, before breakfast), take a few moments to reflect quietly. Shut your eyes and take time to check in with your body. Are you sore from your workout? Are you feeling more or less energized than normal? Focus solely on how your body feels in those moments. Then take a few moments to reflect on what you are grateful for regarding your resolution. Think to yourself, “I am grateful for…” I practice my reflection after a workout in the sauna and usually find myself grateful for the time I devoted that day to improving myself and my wellness. Whatever you are grateful for, take a moment to simply acknowledge it.

This practice may help remind us why we are putting ourselves through these challenges in the first place. Consciously practicing reflection and gratitude may take you closer to your goal of an overall more positive life and help keep that firm determination lasting all year long. 


-EW




No comments:

Post a Comment