Shop Wildtree Products

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Living Out Your Intentions


Maybe this is cheesy, but I can't help but dedicate this post to my hubby, Evan.  He unknowingly prompted me to create this and deserves the recognition.  Thank you for pushing me to stay true to my intentions this week and inspiring me to grow into the woman I aspire to be.  I cherish you.

Despite the dedication to Evan, this will not be a mushy, gushy post. So if love story's make you gag, I assure you this is safe to read.

"By the way, I love you all."  Those were the sweet words our yoga instructor gently spoke this morning as we closed our eyes to begin the fourth day of our "Early Morning Yoga Challenge."  Her kind words filled my soul more than she'll ever know, reaffirming that I was where I was meant to be and reminding me that I am loved.  Her warmth also inspired me to tell you all that you are loved.  In fact, you are adored.

I almost didn't commit to the challenge.  When it popped up on my Facebook newsfeed, I considered it for a moment.  I envisioned myself doing it and deep down I knew how much joy I would feel to wake up each morning for a week and commit myself to this healthy practice.  The wish to feel the success from this had entered and yet, I clicked "interested" like I've done for many other events.  Have you been there before?  Knowing something was good, yet still allowing hesitation and self-doubt to set in?

All week I went back and forth about whether I should commit or not.  Such a tough word for people these days, "commit."  Not only did I think about it, my husband graciously listened to me battle it out with myself aloud.  I knew it was good, but I continued to let my mind be flooded by excuses and self-doubt.  The dialogue went a little like so...

"I'd have to leave the house at 4:45 each morning....and I won't have time to go home before work...that means I'll have to get ready there.  If they don't have a shower, I'll need to shower before I go, which means 4 am wakeup time and then...my hair.  If only my hair could go without showering in the morning...I hate my hair.  The weather channel says it's supposed to be sloppy, I'd hate to have to leave even earlier or be late.  I'm working on lateness."

Yup.  That's what I told myself; all week long.  Until finally, Sunday night I looked at Evan and knew that in order to stay true to who I am and want to be (a Self-Directed, Badass Warrior Woman) this was a non-negotiable.

It was then that I remembered his and my conversation about energy not too long ago and that it takes just as much energy to NOT DO something as it does to DO it.  When we wish for something or set goals it can go one of two ways; we can pursue them or not.  In either case we spend energy on thoughts, actions, and results.  If your wish is to write your friend a note and you take the time to do it, the energy you'll feel during and after will be positive.  If you put it off or decide you don't have time, you're dishing out energy to make excuses that could have been used to write a quick note and drop it in the mailbox.  In most relationships, it takes just as much energy to have a good relationship as it does to have a bad one.

When it came to the yoga challenge this week, the amount of time I spent thinking about all of the barriers I could face trying to live out my intention to be a "Self-Directed, Badass Warrior Woman" could've been used for other things (like writing a note to a friend 😉).  Once I finally committed, it took me just a few minutes to figure out my plan for success and now it's day four of the challenge.  If only I had just saved myself such headache.  My hair has survived, I've driven through the crappy weather, and it's been 100% worth it.  

Flip this scenario around for a minute.  Had I decided not to do the challenge, the energy I'd be experiencing while thinking about it right now would be completely different.  In all sorts of ways it would be negative energy.  I may have slept in a little later, pressed the snooze button, thought about how I should've committed or how I would feel different had I started the morning off with yoga, and I for sure wouldn't have been writing this post.

My challenge for you.

Consider Your Intentions
What do you crave in life or what are your intentions?
What steps could you have taken today or this week to move toward them?
What was something you did that was a success?
Was there something you hesitated to do because of self-doubt, excuses, etc.?
Is there someone who motivates you?

Write them down and share them with others who you know will support and motivate you to pursue them.  Accountability partners are AWESOME...just a tip.

 Pursue the things that challenge you and bring joy into your life.  I give you permission.  Don't back away, you'll spend as much energy falling short as you will thriving.  Your mind is such a powerful tool that can work for you or against you.  When you accept and do these things, it will reflect outward and reach others.  

I believe the people in my life deserve me living at my best potential.  Giving myself some time this week showed through my work as a speech therapist and wife.  I had my daily dose of victory before seeing my kiddos and they experienced a better speech therapist.  When I came home after work still excited about my experience at yoga, my husband received the best energy I could give.  When you feed your soul in even the smallest of ways, others around you benefit.  Never underestimate the small stuff, it is the most consequential.

Share this post with a friend or family member who has shared their intentions with you.  It might give them what they need to keep going today.  You can support, love, and inspire.  Besides, you've already given energy to the thought of sharing it.

I'm so thankful for the time today (SNOW DAY!) to share these thoughts with you.  Show yourself some love, whether that be sitting and sipping your coffee or a silent commute home.


With Love,

Michelle






No comments:

Post a Comment